I love watching the Academy Awards each year. Tonight is “Oscars Night 2016”, so I thought it would be fun to share my favorite quotes from movies that won Best Picture over the years. Here are my top 20!
You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.
– “Gone With The Wind,” winner in 1939
To be, or not to be, that is the question.
– “Hamlet,” winner in 1948
Back home everyone said I didn’t have any talent. They might be saying the same thing over here, but it sounds better in French.
– “An American in Paris,” winner in 1951
Never be in a hurry. You’ll miss the best parts in life.
– “Around the World in Eighty Days,” winner in 1956
I would rather be miserable with you than without you.
– “Gigi,” winner in 1958
Big things have small beginnings, sir.
– “Lawrence of Arabia,” winner in 1962
If you can’t appreciate what you’ve got, you better get what you appreciate.
– “My Fair Lady,” winner in 1964
When the Lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
– “The Sound of Music,” winner in 1965
I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.
– “The Godfather,” winner in 1972
Don’t admire people too much. They might disappoint you.
– “Ordinary People,” winner in 1980
They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me; then they will have my dead body. Not my obedience.
– “Gandhi,” winner in 1982
Gorgeous isn’t everything.
– “Terms of Endearment,” winner in 1983
I’m with you because I choose to be with you. I don’t want to live someone else’s idea of how to live. Don’t ask me to do that. I don’t want to find out one day that I’m at the end of someone else’s life.
– “Out of Africa,” winner in 1985
If you cannot say what you mean, your majesty, you will never mean what you say. And a gentleman should always mean what he says.
– “The Last Emperor,” winner in 1987
Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire.
– “Schindler’s List,” winner in 1993
Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.
– “Forrest Gump,” winner in 1994
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
– “Braveheart,” winner in 1995
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
– “Gladiator,” winner in 2000
It’s the magic of risking everything for a dream that nobody sees but you.
– “Million Dollar Baby,” winner in 2004
Enjoy the 88th Annual Academy Awards! Do you have a favorite you would like to share?